Wednesday, February 17, 2010

These boots are made for walking


Midtown office workers and UN Filipino staff foreheads remind me it’s Ash Wednesday once again. And I have an announcement to say. Nothing Easter related. Luckily I am not in one of the melancholic moods conducive to rants about spring back home, the smells of Semana Santa in Andalusia and so on. Nope, I am in a happier more lighthearted place. And so is my announcement:

Starting today I am wearing two shoes again. That means one in each foot. Simultaneously. A small step to my left leg and a huge step for yours truly. Fabulous.

Since my seclusion started in late December, the never ending recovery has been punctuated by pedestrian events (absolutely intended pun) that only a cripple can appreciate in their full awesomeness as they progressively bring me back to a semi human state: the first time I mustered the courage to put on pants (the end of the pajamas era); my first real shower (the end of the big stink); the first time I took a walk and sat in the timid but oh so delicious January sun (thanks Pamen); my first day back at work (shut up if you don’t have anything nice to say); and today… the first time both of my feet wear the same thing. They are like two unfortunate twins in a Victorian novel reuniting after a long separation. Awwww. Hollywood and I love a happy ending to any story. Even if for now and until Dr. Rosen says otherwise this one is going to have to keep an impatient but more hopeful than ever TO BE CONTINUED…

2 comments:

jon said...

Patience dearie you'll be back to normal tout de suite! Let's visualize a nice, warm late spring day walking down Christopher Street and ... >you can fill in the rest<

escayolado said...

Thanks, Jon, hopefully that will be my post sometime in April...