Sunday, December 27, 2009

Good Day Sunshine


The sun came out at last. I hope it’s a good omen for my visit to the doctor tomorrow. Since my fateful fall, the weather has been mainly crappy and deep inside of me I don’t mind that at all. My world has been so dramatically altered for the worse that somehow I resent the universe for not stopping for the coming weeks just like my life will. Talk about sucking at being Zen and stuff. But anyway, truth be told, even limited as I am to the patch of uptown Manhattan sky I can see from my living room, blue and bright really does something to your soul, to the point that my leg almost feels a little better.

Being born in southern Spain, I used to take good weather for granted. I don’t mean to sound chauvinistic, but Mediterranean weather really rocks. It seems to be the exception in a world full of really shitty climates. I don’t care what Mike says: homo sapiens is a tropical animal, and the Belorussian Riviera (whatever that is) will not be in my beach travel plans anytime soon.

Of course during the summer it gets hot back home, but you have the beach and none of that nasty humidity that wraps New York in a thick sweaty layer during the hottest weeks of the year. Nights are especially delightful. I remember the childhood family dinners al fresco in Chiclana or more recently the dama de noche scented Marbella nights after one of Dan’s amazing meals.

Also of course in winter it will get chilly. My father used to say “But it’s never cold in Cádiz!” -his favorite quote when he caught me with the electric heater pumped up to the max in my room. Well, trust me on this one: it can get pretty damn frigid. But still, many times you will be able to enjoy a beer and a tapa de ensaladilla in a terraza under the December sun with as little as a shirt on. And unlike in scorching August, those sunbeams feel so right on your skin…

I don’t know why this post turned out so meteorological and nostalgic at the same time. It must be that today I saw the sunshine on my window. Or that according to my original plans today I was supposed to have an outdoors barbecue with high school friends several thousand of miles away. All I can say is that today I saw the sun and felt a tiny bit happy. Now that’s something to blog about.

______________________________________


PS: This may sound a bit desperate, but writing is quite lonely so if anybody is reading me and wants to leave a comment, that would make my blogging day.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bravo for sunshine!
I know that the reason for this blog's existence is terrible, but I enjoy your writing very much.
Best,
Cliff

escayolado said...

Thanks, Cliff :)

Angel Luis González said...

your blog is sunshine in this cold, rainy, cloudy day in Madrid. Thanks a lot for this beautiful gift!

Feliz día de los inocentes,
Ángel

Anonymous said...

Im reading this too Nicholas I just don't want to become a blogger! Remember you friend is checking on you!

escayolado said...

@ Ángel: Thanks, my friend! I feel I am inside a big pointless inocentada...

@Andrew: just keep checking on me lest i become Perez Hilton

Unknown said...

Damn, I was dissed in your blog. OK, I'll grant you that neither one of us is a big fan of ice (and you may hate it more than I do at the moment) but c'mon to Belorus with me. Airfares are cheap in February.

escayolado said...

Over my casted, cold body!