Thursday, December 24, 2009

Jingle Bell Rock

Ok, so here's the thing: I do like Christmas. I believe it's a damn good idea.

Don't think that I am being naive or, even worse, cynical. I get the haters. It's commercial and stressful. The weather is cold, even in Cádiz. No one likes to pretend that the cheap cologne your aunt gives you is the best present ever, etc. etc.

However you also get to hang out with people you love. Or share most of your gene pool with. You can eat without guilt ridiculous amounts of very delicious food, specifically amarguillos de Medina (when my Amish Market finally discovers those, it's gonna be its definite graduation to coolest food store this side of the Guadalete). And, what the heck, cheap cologne or not, at the end of the season you get presents.

I mean how much of a bitter anorexic bore do you have to be to not like all or some of that? None of my readers, I am sure. All three of them (myself included).

The serious drawback of Navidad is that no matter how hard you try you can never reproduce that perfect Christmas of 1981. When, even though you knew there was something clearly non kosher (pun intended) in the Three Wise Men presents on January 6th, you still kind of believed in them and left them milk, cookies, and hay for the camels. When grandma cooked turkey with almonds and cyclopean mountains of pestiños. When mom bought the turrón de fruta that no one else liked just for you. When mom was there.

But no matter what I still refuse to join the ranks of of the jaded santaphobes. I still think it's the most wonderful time of the year. Sort of. Some years. So now, on to my 2009 Nochebuena dinner spread...

Evidently some green motherfucker stole my left ankle and my Christmas. Feliz Navidad everybody.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gran post Niki.
Realmente aquella puta ilusión se perdió para siempre, y con ella el tiempo en que nuestros seres queridos estanam con nosotros, y sobre todo creíamos que siempre lo estarían.
Joselito de la Isla

escayolado said...

Gracias, tío, y un fuerte abrazo!